After leaving acute hospital care, some patients continue to need specialized, skilled nursing while they recover. In order to ease the transition, Memorial Health System offers their Skilled Care Program at Memorial Hospital. With a team of medical professionals, we can provide that transitional care that many patients need while recuperating.
Come Back Home For Care
The Skilled Bed Program allows a physician to transition a patient’s care from acute medical need to skilled nursing or rehabilitation. The goal is individualized care directed towards meeting the patient’s needs.
Qualifications for a Skilled Bed Stay:
For Medicare and/or Medicaid Patients:
- Three days in a row in an acute care hospital within the last 30 days
- Have skilled needs that are related to the condition which was treated or arose during the qualifying stay
Private Insured Patients:
- Precertification from insurance company to determine eligibility for Skilled Bed stay, for a predetermined time period.
- Medicare beneficiaries are responsible for the co-insurance amount for the 21st day through 100th day of stay.
While on Skilled Care, you will receive skilled nursing care and/or therapies. Your care plan is determined based on a healthcare assessment in collaboration with you, the patient. Skilled care is delivered on a daily basis and the services must be ones that can only be provided on an inpatient basis.
Examples of skilled care:
- IV injections
- Wound care
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Pain management
- Comfort care
When you are assessed, a care plan is developed by the staff members to help you reach your healthcare goals. Your care plan may include:
- Skilled services ordered by the physician;
- How often you will receive the services;
- What kind of equipment or supplies that may be needed (i.e. wheelchair, oxygen, feeding tube);
- Special diet needs;
- Individualized discharge plan;
- Healthcare goals and how to obtain those goals;
- Care Plan Book.
In addition, the Social Worker and Care Transition Coordinator will assist you in discharge planning, community resources, and completion of Advanced Directive and Durable Power of Attorney documents.
Memorial Health System Skilled Care Program
511 NE 10th St.
Abilene, KS 67410
Phone: (785) 263-2100